Wednesday 10 October 2012

Book Review: Undead by: Kirsty Mckay

My Rating: ★★★★★
Date Published: September 1st, 2011
Publisher: Chicken House
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 294
Do I own it?: Yep!


Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads)

Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.
The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.
Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.
But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.
Combining the chill of THE SHINING, the thrill ride of SPEED, the humor of SHAUN OF THE DEAD, and the angst of THE BREAKFAST CLUB, Kirsty McKay's UNDEAD is a bloody mad mash-up, a school-trip splatter-fest, a funny, gory, frighteningly good debut.

Review:

It's safe to say that I am never accepting free samples ever again, especially after reading this book.
This was by far my favourite (and only) zombie book I have ever read. I was actually expecting a lot worse. I thought that it was going to be super cheesy and badly written, but I thought it was perfect!

The story was fantastic, and all the way that everyone got turned into a zombie actually makes sense. I thought that the plot was brilliantly laid out, and the author even put a romance twist in it. There were twists and turns, and also revealed secrets. It was the perfect blend of action, horror and a little romance.

I loved the way that Kirsty Mckay included humour into her writing, but didn't make it so funny that it made the story silly. I actually received this book as an ARC from my local library (the book got published in a new cover) and I only picked it up because it was the only book that wasn't a sequel there. I am really glad I picked it up. I don't regret reading this. Undead is the perfect book to read in October. It was creepy enough to keep me awake at night.

I just wish that this book was a little bit longer. I thought that it was great and all, but it would've been better if it was just slightly larger. I will certainly be reading the second book; Unfed, soon. I really want to know how I ends! I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a fast-paced action book.

No comments:

Post a Comment