Saturday 3 November 2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by: Ransom Riggs

My Rating: ★★★★★
Date Published: June 7th, 2011
Publisher: Quirk
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352
Do I own it?: Yes

Synopsis:

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. Fiction is based on real black and white photographs. The death of grandfather Abe sends sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and explores abandoned bedrooms and hallways. The children may still live.


Review:

There was a lot of hype surrounding this book, and after reading it, I totally understand why. So I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and when I bought it, I was really happy. I was finally about to read it. All of my friends read it, and a lot of people on Goodreads had read it too. I'll tell you right now, that Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar children exceeded my expectations. It was fantastic!

A couple days ago, I was reading a blog that happened to be Ransom's blog (the author) and he said that if you stack all of the books that he sold on top of each other, the height would be higher than mt. Everest. Isn't that amazing? I really think that Ransom Riggs deserves it.

I thought that the book was amazing. The fact that someone can find vintage photographs, and make a story out of it is so fantastic. It really does show that he's an amazing author! The story worked so well with the pictures. Some of the photographs were so scary, it was unbelievable. It wasn't an overly scary book, like I thought, it was more creepy than it was scary, but I think that without the pictures, the book wouldn't be that creepy.

I fell in love with the characters almost immediately after they were all introduced. They were all so lovable and fun, and I really liked learning about all their peculiar talents. All the twists and turns in the book were really well thought out. I did not see any of them coming.

Overall, I really did enjoy this book, and I cannot wait for book number 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment