Monday 23 July 2012

Book review: Anna Dressed in Blood by: Kendra Blake

My Rating: ★★★★
Date Published:
August 30th, 2011
Publisher: Tor Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 316
Do I own it?: No


Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads)
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life

Review:
This book would really make a kick-ass movie. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as it had just the right amount of humor, love interest, and horror. Kendra Blake did an amazing job portraying Anna as a ghost. She was super scary and didn't seem human, but after you know what happened to her, you understand exactly why she was like that. The horror in the book was just the right amount. Not too scary, just the right amount. The horror in the book had me cringing at some points. I would find myself reading, and also having my hand over my mouth as I was reading. I also found that this book was very well paced. It never slowed down enough for me to want to put the book down. This novel had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Although there were some unessesary parts in the story that I did not find would have made a big difference in the book, it was still excellent, and deserves the 4 out of 5 stars I gave it. I recommend this book for anyone that wants to read a good somewhat scary story! It would have been better to read this novel in October! This book was fantastic, and I cannot wait for the second book to come out on August 7th of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment