Thursday 26 July 2012

Book Review: The Blondes by: Emily Schultz


My Rating: ★★★★★
Date (to be) Published: August 14th
, 2012
Publisher: Doubleday Canada (division of Random House Canada)
Age Group: Adult
Pages: 400
Do I own it?: Yes (ARC)





Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads)
Hazel Hayes is a grad student living in New York City. As the novel opens, she learns she is pregnant (from an affair with her married professor) at an apocalyptically bad time: random but deadly attacks on passers-by, all by blonde women, are terrorizing New Yorkers. Soon it becomes clear that the attacks are symptoms of a strange illness that is transforming blondes--whether CEOs, flight attendants, skateboarders or accountants--into rabid killers. 


Review:
I received this book through a giveaway hosted by Goodreads, from Random House Canada.

The idea for this book was what attracted me and compelled me to enter the contest on Goodreads. This novel was like a breath of fresh air. It was a lovely break from all the Dystopian books floating around. The story took place during a time when life as we knew it disappeared, and all hell breaks loose, instead of a typical Dystopian story which normally takes place after an apocalypse. Although this is an Adult book, I enjoyed it as much as I would have enjoyed a normal Young Adult novel. The only difference was that this novel, "The Blondes" had more vulgar language than a typical YA book. When I read the synopsis, I actually thought that the main character would be weak and depressed all the time, because of everything that was happening to her and to the world that this story takes place in. I was surprised and happy to find that the protagonist (Hazel Hayes) was strong-willed and hopeful. Normally when I read Adult books they are never interesting enough to keep me reading, but this novel was interesting until the last page. Although I found this book extremely sad at many points, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot was entertaining and captivating, and almost all of the characters were well-rounded. My favourite parts in the novel was when Hazel would talk to her baby, and call it names like, "my little parasite" or "my little Amoeba" etc.... Through all of the intense scenes and sad parts, I was happy to find that this book had a happy ending. This book deserves the 5 stars that I give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment