Tuesday 31 July 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules by: Julie Kagawa



My Rating: ★★★★★
Date Published: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 485
Do I own it?: Yes. (gorgeous book to own in hardcover)

Synopsis: (taken from Goodreads)

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.


Review:
I'm on such a roll guys. I keep reading amazing books! When I started this book, I didn't expect much. It seemed like a typical vampire book, but when I started reading it I was definitely proven wrong. Julie Kagawa is such a brilliant author. This book was action packed (no joke) till the last page! You think that you are going to be terrified of the vampires in this book, but I was terrified of the rabids! They are like, futuristic zombies. A lot of things surprised me in this book, especially the characters. I always love strong female leads, and Allison was definitely one. She was a really bad ass vampire! Julie Kagawa made the atmosphere in this book really chilling, and I think that that's fabulous. It was creepy but at the same time there were strong emotions coming from different characters, and it felt like they were all over the place, but in a good way. This book is easily a great Halloween book. There is a lot of gore and the rabids are probably the scariest part of the book. I wanted to cry at certain parts especially the ending. One thing that I noticed that is very sneaky of the publishers, is that the book cover actually means something. At first you just think; "oh..she's crying blood? okay cool cover." and you move on. But no! The cover really does makes sense. Another thing that I thought was genius on behalf of Julie Kagawa, is that the romance didn't just appear out of nowhere like in most books. In this novel, the romance built up. In other books, it would usually just be the girl thinking that the other boy is attractive even if they don't know anything about each other, and then the boy would say he loves her. The romance in this book was amazing. It built up perfectly. It gave the characters time to get to know each other. You just have to read the book to find out. Words cannot explain how much I want the second book right now. The title has been released, and it is The Eternity Cure. I cannot wait for this book. It comes out May 2013. I know it's going to be just as good as this one was.



No comments:

Post a Comment