Saturday 21 July 2012

Book Review: Delirium by: Lauren Oliver

My Rating: ★★★★★
Date Published: February 1st, 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 441
Do I own it?: Yes


Synopsis: (From Goodreads.com)
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Review: (no spoilers)
This book captured my full attention on the first page. I immediately got sucked into the world that Lauren Oliver created. The world she made was very well described. With every description that Lauren Oliver gave, the image in my mind of the world, grew and grew. I felt as though I was there in the story alongside Lena. Although, I would've wanted to know more about the rest of the world, Maine was well described. Even though I haven't ever been to Maine, after reading this book I feel like I used to live there. I found myself constantly thinking about the world, story, and characters. When you read a book, and you think of it all the time, and you analyze little details, and make connections about the story, you know that it is a very good book. When you start to read a book, you want a book that will make you stay up late at night, reading under the covers of your bed, with a flashlight. Delirium was that book. Although I loved Lena and Alex, I did not like Hanna as much. I thought that she kept things from Lena in the beginning, and wasn't a good friend to her, but she grew on me by the end of the story.From the moment that Alex was introduced, I fell in love with his character. He was very sweet to Lena, and all through the story you fell in love with him! The most important part of the story, was that you were hooked through the whole plot. It was engaging, and amazing. The descriptions were so rich, especially in the prisons were described with so much detail, that I was actually scared that if I did something bad, I would be sent there. The ending, is the part that I have been dreading to talk about. The ending, made me absolutely not want to read the next book. I was devastated. I am still going to read the second book, but I think that it will take some time for me to get over what happened. Overall, this book was really amazing. I finished it very quickly, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am extremely happy that I bought this book, because it really was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment