Friday 3 August 2012

Book Review: The Selection by: Kiera Cass

My Rating: ★★★★
Date Published: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 327
Do I own it?: Yes.




Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

THIS WHOLE REVIEW HAS SPOILERS!
Review:
oh my god. There were so many things I loved about this book, but there were also a lot of things I hated. First of all, I loved the world. The whole caste thing was a lovely idea, and it really gives you the impression of how separated the people in this future world are. I also really enjoyed America's family. It was all so cute and friendly. The Selection is also a great idea. It really was like The Bachelor, but a better version of it. Maxon is adorable. I love the fact that America can make him so happy just by doing the simplest things. This is why I want them to be together. NOT ASPEN. I was happy that Aspen was gone, until he came to the castle. I lost it. I wanted to throw my book out the window. GET OUT ASPEN. JUST GO! I was so angry with America for kissing him, but near the end of the book when she told him that she's here for Maxon, and if she doesn't make it she will consider him, I was happy. "You go girl!" Is what I actually said when I read that.

The other girl in the competition are so rude. Especially Celeste. She needs to get out also. The whole thing where Celeste tried to take America's dress made me very angry. Other than that the rest of the characters are alright. Aspen isn't that bad, I just don't want him to end up with America. I really really really liked America's character. She was, again, another strong female lead. I don't know how many books there will be, but I know that I will enjoy every one of them.
Overall, I enjoyed the book a lot. I kept reading because I had to know what would happen next. I started this book last night, and finished today. Less than 24 hours. That means that I did enjoy the book a lot. The reason why I only gave it 4 stars out of five, is because of the whole Aspen thing, with him coming back. I did not like that at all. I can't wait to see what Kiera Cass has in store for us in the next book, The Elite.

No comments:

Post a Comment